Mobile device management (MDM) is a type of security software used by an IT department to monitor, manage and secure employees’ mobile devices that are deployed across multiple mobile service providers and across multiple mobile operating systems being used in the organization.
Mobile device management software is often combined with additional security services and tools to create a complete mobile device and security Enterprise Mobility Management solution.
- Device inventory and tracking.
- App distribution and/or an enterprise app store.
- Remote wipe.
- Password enforcement.
- App whitelisting and blacklisting.
- Data encryption enforcement.
Mobile Device Management (MDM) software is the one which is used to manage and control devices from a remote location. An MDM works in the following way :
- A provisioning profile is installed on device which is to be controlled. This profile adds device authentication and control.
- An MDM client app is downloaded and installed on the device in most cases. Sometimes, there will be a built-in MDM client app.
- The client app collects information about the device and its current status, and then sends it to the MDM server.
- The MDM server pushes the settings as set by the administrator.
- Once the client app receives the settings, it then adjust the device and its settings accordingly.
Mobile Device Management (MDM) solution offers a suite of policies and configuration tools for managing content and applications on business devices. You can secure, monitor and manage company-owned as well as employee-owned devices through a set of security policies and profiles such as Application Management, Device Management and Content Management to new a few.
Mobile Device Management generally includes following features :
- Remotely Management for devices to be remotely managed whether it is remote access of the device screen, updating mobile apps to transferring files.
- Quick and Bulk Enrollment for enrolling a huge stack of mobile devices efficiently.
- Device Provisioning to setup devices with required apps and settings like WiFi, Email, VPN settings.
- Device Health Monitoring to monitor devices remotely, setup battery and connectivity alert notifications.
- Location Tracking to track devices on map real-time, view historical location data, create geo-fencing and more.
- Device Security features to remotely lock and wipe devices, apply password policies.
- Analytics Engine to track and monitor trends and issues related to performance and usage of business devices and applications.